Sunday, January 11, 2015

Do over

Sometimes quilting just requires a "do over'.  This quilt is one of those.
I made this quilt for my niece-the-quilter 8-9 years ago and did straight line quilting since I did not have access to a longarm.  I called it "Tequila Sunrise" because she is a huge Jimmy Buffett fan. But alas, as it turns out Jimmy Buffett did not sing "Tequila Sunrise" but I think the name is perfect in spite of my feeble attempt.
As with this black and white quilt I did for my now daughter-in-law, the stitching started pulling and breaking over time and it needed to be fixed.
So, I loaded it on the longarm.
I quilted it with a curvy pattern so it wouldn't overlap the straight line quilting.
I pulled out the old stitching.
It was a little work but I was happy to do it....and happy to have it done.
It's now back home where it belongs and I'm thrillled it's "fixed" and should hold for another 8-9 years.

But --- I have one more to do and then I think I will have fixed all the quilts that I can remember that I quilted this way.  I want my quilts loved.  I want them used.  And I want them to last.  So a do over is an easy decision -- start to finish, it's easily done in a week and the binding is already done!

I hope you are avoiding do overs and starting the new year with lots of creativity!

Jan




8 comments:

Nann said...

Very nice design! But I would rather make a new quilt than requilt an old one.

Chris said...

I have never re quilted a quilt. It seems like so much work.

Terri said...

I haven't had a problem with the quilting, but there are some dog chewed corners to be fixed. Such is life.
Hugs

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! So beautiful quilt! I love the colours and the pattern! I agree with Nann and couldn't have patient to ripp the old quilting. Bravo to you! x Teje

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's an absolutely stunning quilt!

Unknown said...

I hope they will never ask me to ripp off old quilting, but I agree with you that it is worth the effort. A beautiful quilt!!!

dq said...

Great idea to do a do-over. I have some quilts I keep thinking I could add some quilting to, but I never do.

Judyk2310 said...

The quilts are beautiful but what a lot of work!! I live in Indiana south of Indianapolis and wonder where you live in south central ky as I go there once a year to visit a cousin. Anywhere neat Lake Cumberland? Always looking for quilt shops when I travel.
judyk2310@yahoo.com