Saturday, December 14, 2013

Improv!

Hallelujah!
The top is done, quilted, and the binding is underway.  These great fabrics are from Wilmington Prints and just fit the bill for the type of whimsical dinosaurs I was looking for. Somehow, a 3 year old sleeping under lifelike dinos just didn't "float my boat".
But -- all is not as easy as it might seem.  I was backordered twice on these. There were panels that were awkward if put in a quilt without cutting them apart. I have no pattern. I needed to make the fabric that I had work.  The backgrounds are light and needed spacers to break them up. I went with 10.5" blocks cut which means you only get one from a fat quarter and then have to "make" the rest of the fabric work.
So -- thank goodness for a design wall and the ability work in sections and then try to get them to all work in the end. The quilt is not quite full size but will work for a "big boy bed" and should be done in time to take to Toronto after Christmas. I was lucky to have some help from Mr Iquiltforfun in the quilting. How fun to be able to tell our grandson that his grammie and granddaddy made this for him!  I would have cherished that.
AND -- here is my yearly reminder. I am using my last "faux minkee blanket" for the back. There are going to be after Christmas sales and we need to be looking for blankets on sale.  Not the fleece ones -- altho I'm sure they would work. But there are often minkee-type blankets deeply discounted (often doubled with minkee on both sides and then bound). SNATCH THEM UP. They are seamless and wider than normal width of fabric.
If you score a double sided one, you will want to be deliberate in where you cut them apart. They make a mess! There is no selvage and little pieces of fluff go everywhere. Since weather was not cooperating this week, I put the blankets in one of our bathtubs, perched myself on a  stool, and cut the binding off. Most of the little fluffies were contained and I could wipe them up with a damp paper towel.  The tag said this was 90 x 102 before I cut off the binding. NO seams. And it quilted up beautifully.
To provide a bit of order in my quilting world, I finished Step 2 of Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Mystery. The details for the mystery are here. While I am not a fan of chevrons because of the waste of fabric, I much prefer her method to making them than trying to piece them with triangles. I have to say, this step  seemed pretty easy compared to some so I wonder what lies in store for a future step! These little jewels went together perfectly (so long as I did my sewing perfectly!). I am so happy to see some of these fabrics go! One of the greens was used in a quilt that a friend made for my son when he was born. He is 33!
Step 3 is live and another chance to use up some of those pesky fabrics that won't go away. And, it's a great step to use 2" strips from the strip bin. I love that for many reasons.  You can see everyone's progress and color choices here.

I hope you have some improvisation in your life - along with some order if that's helpful to you!

Jan

13 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

What ac great idea to buy up minkee after Christmas! I bet they make for really warm quilts that are extra soft! How lucky you are to have a husband who helps you out!

JoAnna said...

THat dinosaur quilt is awesome and very whimsical. I spend my sewing life "making the fabric work" so I know what you mean! I am very envious of your quilting machine. My mother had a Handiquilter that nearly put us both in the looney bin and she finally sold it. It was so much more frustrating than it needed to be. I so want to quilt my own quilts but just can't fork over the money for a quilting machine. My mother has hers quilted for her and it's very pricey! To do it myself would be awesome.

I'm also surprised the minky doesn't slide all over the place when quilting. It's a great idea. Do you then skip the batting or do you do batting too?

Anonymous said...

I like the minky idea and may try that out on my next baby quilt. ~ :) Melanie

Vireya said...

Cute dinosaurs!

Your chevrons look good. Bonnie's designs are great for using up small bits that have been hanging around, but I haven't got any that are 33 years old. That's amazing!

Jill said...

Love this dinosaur fabric and the cute dinosaur shapes. Colorful and cheerful. Perfect for a 3-year old.

Leatina @ GeoMama said...

The Dinos are super cute.

Darlene Nemeth said...

Using a Minkee is a very clever idea. I will have to keep that in mind. I am pinning. Thanks for sharing.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great work on clue 3 and I have never worked with Minkee before so thanks for the tips! Where do you normally buy the faux minkee blankets? I would like to try one. Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Studio V said...

Those Dino's are adorable! I haven't worked with Minkee much but it feels so comfy!

Renee said...

My 3, near 4 year old, would like those dinos! He loves everything dino right now :-)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I LOVE the dinos, very cute and lots of fun! Thanks for the tips re the minky blankets, I haven't used minky as a backing yet, might have to make it a goal for 2014! Have a wonderful Christmas!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Very cute! And I love that you and Mr. Iquiltforfun worked on it together -- that's awesome!

Quilter Kathy said...

A wonderful gift from both of you!
Thanks for linking up!