Friday, April 13, 2012

Continued...

Here are an additional three months of wallhangings from Nancy Halverson's Be Attitude quilt .  If you missed the background and first posts on these, you can read about them here and here.

The month of July wasn't patriotic as expected but was about honesty and featured a special little button that looked like butterscotch candy that could be ordered.  Without it (or something in her hand), it just wouldn't work.  I did this one with 30's scraps.
I liked the August block but don't think my fabric choices necessarily did it justice.  It's a pretty basic block to being with and not many design elements.  Once again, I was able to get something out of the cedar chest and repurpose it.  I had been hanging on to one of our mothers' blouses that I always loved for some reason.  It was a little white short-sleeved Villager blouse that she had monogrammed.  Since her birthday was in August and her faith was extremely important to her, it seemed appropriate to cut out the monogram and appliqué it to the back -- complete with some of the tucks.  So, one more thing got used in a way that has meaning (at least to me) and isn't in the cedar chest waiting for my son to pull out and wonder what in the world to do with it!
























September carried a back to school theme and the buttons for the tabs were from my old wool camel "car coat".  How's that for dating myself.  I have no idea why I still had it but it is no more!  I suspect more than half the people reading this will have no idea what a car coat even is.  The buttons for the berries were from my grandmother's button jar and I obviously caught a glare from the shiny red one.  I really like them but they had to be scrubbed to be used.  Just a tad dirty from sitting around for so many years!






We're lucky enough to be in Wisconsin babysitting for a few days and there's not much "new" sewing going on here!  Just grammie loving, a bit of laundry, and maybe cutting some scraps before the day is over. 

I hope you're finding time to stitch or create or repurpose!  Jan


7 comments:

Kat said...

These blocks are so sweet. I love how you added the heart from your mother's blouse. I recently used one of my grandmother's blouses to make a ladybug shape on a quilt, for my cousin's new baby. My grandma passed away before the baby was born so I wanted her quilt to have something special from the great-grandma she never met. I think the "little things" like that have so much meaning -- like you said -- even if it's only for us. Really beautiful job on these!

Grandma said...

Love what you did with the Nancy Halvorsen blocks. I made them into a quilt top last year. I added a few more of my original blocks and I LOVE It! I don't have it quilted yet but I am so proud of myself for finishing such a detailed top. Great job!! I may use your idea to make wall hangings for gifts.

Lesley said...

So lovely and so thoughtful...

Donna said...

I really like these mini quilts.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your blocks are wonderful! I finished my blocks last year, but haven't finished the quilt yet. Seeing your blocks inspired me to got to work to figure out the quilting challenge!

Unknown said...

You havent seen me since Im not a big commenter, but I have been "stalking" your posts and have to say that you really make the most beautiful quilts!

I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award and I hope that's okay with you, I think your blog deserves more people to see it!

The post where I have a paragraph about you and your award is here:

http://tumblestonehandmakery.blogspot.ca/2012/04/i-have-been-handed-liebster-blog-award.html

Thanks for having such an inspiring blog!

julieQ said...

I just love your blocks!! Please oh please go to my blog and see my finished version...I love it!!